Monday, May 23, 2011

Handy Gadgets

Awhile ago I mentioned my new smart phone. Well, I still don't know how to use 95% of its functionality. You would think, as an IT professional, that I would be more excited about all these new gadgets that are coming out these days. The truth is, I really don't care about most of them. So far I haven't felt the need to run out and spend $600 on the new iPad. Until it can prove to me that it will make my life easier, I can do without.

Well, there are a few things that I've found over the past few months have made my life a little easier. Even if it saves a few minutes of my time I consider it useful :)

1. The Kindle

Kindle


So it took me a long time to jump on the eReader bandwagon. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on something when I could just pick up the book. Freddy got me one for Valentine's Day and now I don't know why it took me so long to get one! It has been so hard to find time to read, especially since Marshall was born. I used to read during my commute, but it became such a hassle to carry an additional book especially now that I have to lug a laptop back and forth to work. Before, I would hear about a book that I wanted to read but forget to write it down. Now I can just download it to my Kindle and read it when I'm ready. Not to mention eBooks are a few dollars cheaper than regular books. It is so much easier to try and read while I'm rocking Marshall to sleep as well. These days I have to make sure all of my time is used wisely :)

2. Beaba BabyCook

Beaba BabyCook


Everyone made fun of me for this one. Yes, I know you can still make your own babyfood with a regular food pocessor. But, I liked the fact that this little gadget is all in one. It steams, blends, defrosts, and heats food. With our limited amount of space, it is nice to not take up too much room. Just so everyone knows I still have to peel and cut the food!

3. Wireless Printer

Printer


Freddy got this for his birthday last year. I can print from the living room without having to email what I'm working on from my laptop to my desktop or the need to actually hook up the laptop to the printer. Very cool and time saving. Again... how did I get by with out this???

4. Nikon CoolPix

Nikon CoolPix


Don't get me wrong. I love my Nikon D3100 but I obviously can't lug it around everywhere we go. My Nikon CoolPix is small enough that I can keep it in my purse or bag and I have a camera on me at all times. You never know when Marshall is going to do something cute. Which is all the time!

5. Maclaren Trumph Stroller

Stroller


Ok... I know this isn't a gadget. But it was super handy when I was travelling by myself with Marshall a couple weeks ago. The fact that you can fold and unfold it one handed while holding your infant paid for itself in about 2 minutes!

As I find more I'll definitely report my findings :)

~AKO

1 comments:

Jessa said...

I gave my Kindle away, 1st gen, to my mother-in-law thinking my iPod would suffice (which it does/did) and then I busted the screen and can't read a book on it at all. And getting another one isn't going to happen. I'll get an iPad if I'm getting an e-Reader.